Thursday, June 28, 2018

A Novel Idea: Mma Precious Ramotswe


The next up in my Novel Idea collection is Mma Ramotswe from Alexander McCall Smith's book series The No.1 Ladies Detective Agency. For her I found a bold and typically colorful Dutch wax print. The whole searching process was a feast for the eyes with all the variety in big patterns and colors, but it was hard to find something that went with my cool undertones and ghost-complexion. Darker skin tends to do so much better with bold and bright colors (in my opinion). I settled on this teal, orange, and navy fabric that reminds me of peacock feathers (I love blue and orange!). I used my own variation of of New Look Pattern 6500 (which I named the Gayle Shift Dress in this variation of it >> Link). This time I gave it a V-neck and lowered the back neckline, as well. I also converted the regular sleeve to a flutter sleeve and added 3 inches to the length of the dress body. For the flutter sleeves I used a 'Block, Paper, Scissors' tutorial on converting straight sleeves to flutter sleeves by Seamwork magazine, which is published by Colette Patterns (online: Link). Also, I left out the zipper because I am that brand of lazy. I also took in the underarm seam 2 inches on each side.




In the HBO rendition of The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency, Mma Ramotswe is often seen in traditional dress, which is modest, colorful, and lightweight in fabric choice. She has a little drama, protection, and modesty with the sleeves, but she is a woman who would put comfort a step above style (though she is still stylish), so it is still looser in fit and only some darts in the bust. I've only ever imagined her in dresses, so I would not make anything else to represent her. ☺I believe I said that New Look 6500 would be a versatile dress to work with in some review I wrote for it, and it feels very satisfying to make this from the same thing I made the Gayle. I am so more than happy with the way it came out. Colorful and a lot of fun to wear! Makes me wish I could visit Botswana.

Fabric all laid out

The official seal!

Drank some red bush tea (rooibos) in spirit of Mma Ramotswe while I sewed

The final product. Look at all that sleeve!
Back view



“I am just a tiny person in Africa, but there is a place for me, and for everybody, to sit down on this earth and touch it and call it their own.” 
― Alexander McCall SmithThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency

Happy Sewing!

2 comments:

  1. The print, the colours, those giant sleeves.... you nailed it! Really flatters you.
    Mary in Bangkok

    ReplyDelete