Saturday, November 26, 2016

Happy (Belated) Thanksgiving With the Bantam

   

         The most recent thing I've made is the Bantam dress, which is a Merchant and Mills pattern. Its a shift dress with bias binding along the neck and arms and a slight racerback. Super simple and easy to follow; there aren't any darts or pleats. It is longer in the back by about 2 inches (intentional design of course). The only changes I had to make to my size 8 was the bust (it was gaping under the arms which means the pattern was probably made for a person with a larger bust) and I put the binding on the inside rather than topstitching it onto the front as suggested. I did get to wear this to Thanksgiving dinner. Since I live in MS, it is no surprise that the high was 60 degrees, and summer dresses can still be worn in late November. Once again I used a cotton that my grandmother gave to me, which has floral designs stitched over the already printed pattern.



The whole outfit.
     I think my next plan is going to be the Colette Crepe, again. That was my plan in the summer and we all see how that did not happen. If that doesn't happen I'll probably just post some commission work, whatever comes to me at the time. Or my brother's Henry costume. The jerkin is almost finished; I just have buttonholes and buttons to place. The Great Coat is another story, so it may be a while before it makes an appearance.

Happy (Late) Thanksgiving and Happy Sewing!


No comments:

Post a Comment