Sunday, May 12, 2019

The 50 States: Tennessee -- Sew House 7 Tea House Blouse



Tennessee is such a hodge-podge of things to me: southern, full of the arts, modern, mountainous, historic, yet growing. My impression of the state is bundled up in my four years of school near Chattanooga and multiple trips to Memphis, Franklin, and smaller towns. My mental mood board included something modern, abstract, and slightly structured. Memphis' Beale Street and the blue walking bridge in Chattanooga kept coming to mind, in particular. 



I have signed up for the 2019 Pattern Review Weekend in Portland, OR. Anne Whalley (The Pattern Whisperer https://www.annewhalley.com/)
AND Peggy Mead (Sew House Seven https://sewhouse7.com/) will be speaking. There will also be a fabric shopping day and a heap of thrilling seminars.

Of  course, I'll be packing mostly things I've made to wear. A few months ago I actually purchased a Tea House Dress and Blouse pattern from Sew House 7, so it is appropriate that I made one for the trip.







It was a fairly easy make, just a bit of confusion on the cuffs. Next time, I'll make sure to make my seam allowances larger. They suggested 5/8in and I did 1/2 in like I normally do, but it felt awfully baggy when I first finished.  I had to shorten the cuffs and I chose view D since I was short on the black and white contrast fabric. It's a little wrinkly since I had worn it most of the day by the time I took the pictures. I like the structure that the cuffs and stiffer cotton provide, but next time, I will size it down a little and raise the back casing. It felt a little low because I like to tie the tie around my natural waist, which is high relative to rest of my torso and defined. It is very comfortable to wear. 

                   




The fabric is  a collection by Michele D'Amore for Contempo. I got it in Chattanooga at Ready Set Sew.

Happy Sewing and Happy Mother's Day!
This particular shot is my sister and mother and I on Lookout Mountain, TN, one of many moments there.



No comments:

Post a Comment