Monday, January 24, 2022

Christmas 2021 & The New Year

Happy New Year! I'm sure that's about the 5,000th time you've heard or read that by now, but the sentiments are still the same. 🎊 Not surprisingly, my Christmas and New Year festivities went by in an absolute whirlwind of glittery wrapping paper, a toothache's amount of sweets, and catching up with people! Lots of fun, but still exhausting. During that holiday blur, I did make two large Christmas gifts -- a Hawaiian shirt for my brother using McCall's 2149 (View B) and Wardrobe By Me's Amelia Bomber Jacket for my sister. 

❅❅


Let's take a look at the Hawaiian shirt first. Overall, a pretty easy make using M2149. I finished the front and collar facing differently than the McCall's directions. My fabric was too delicate to zigzag as a way to finish the seams, so I either used French seams for connecting seams or added an extra seam to seal things off, like on the outer edges of the front facing. I couldn't quite understand some of their steps about the collar, so I just finished it in a way that sealed everything up tidily. 





❅❅

    For the bomber jacket, I used the Amelia Bomber jacket pattern from Wardrobe by Me. It was an experience, and I wouldn't have made it through if I had not followed the tutorial video every step of the way. It's not that it was super hard -- there were just so many pieces and steps! That said, it was a well-made pattern and tutorial. After doing some pattern changes to fit my sister in particular, it fit great. The topstitching around the collar and zipper really gives it a more polished look and made me feel better about stability. Also, the pattern was originally made for a woven fabric, but I decided to take a risk and make it with a knit fabric, but not wanting to push my luck too much, I made sure the athletic knit I chose was only a 2-way stretch still on the less-stretchy end of things.





Well, that's it for now.
Happy Sewing!😊


No comments:

Post a Comment