Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Into the Woods: The Witch

Since I am a costumer for the theater, I get to do some rather interesting (and enjoyable!) projects. My most recent major assignment was the witch's costume for Into the Woods. It has taken about 2 weeks to get it all together.
At first it was going to be a rag robe, but we decided to chop the sleeves off and make it into a cape, and open the front to make things a little more scene-change friendly (and so it follows what the director has in mind---it almost got rejected even though the costume head approved it).
So, I spent many hours cutting out little squares, pinning them all individually and evenly on, and sewing either by hand or machine onto the dress/robe/cape. Very time consuming, but definitely a good time.
my roomie!

squares

the start



more squares...

coffee/tea break

What am I doing?








the pin cushion doesn't travel w/me...so that's what collars are for


the final product!


there's got to be 600 squares at least

No comments:

Post a Comment