Monday, May 4, 2020

The Sketchbook Project: Saturday Dressmaker // Tactile Qualities


I don't normally work on really long-term projects because they tend to be forgotten. However, I decided to take on Brooklyn Art Library's Sketchbook Project. It was great opportunity to actually create some mood boards. I was assigned to the Volume 15 group. The picture above is out list of suggested themes, of which tactile qualities stuck out, naturally.

https://www.sketchbookproject.com/

What I wrote in the 'Artist's Comments' section:

"Tactile Qualities: Sewing Mood Boards for Nov. 15, 2019 - Jan. 25, 2020

Sewing is equally creative as it is cathartic for me. When I sit down to work on a project, it's relaxing and energizing, but that same process draws out my inner creative, fixer, and maker. This collection of mood boards gives a peek into my "idea bank" during the 2019-2020 winter, when I finally put down the inspiration I had mentally stockpiled from the months before to paper. It ranges from everyday clothing inspired by characters from a book I read and a dress I made simply because I was freezing the day before, to special occasion projects. My mood boards are my last round of visualization before making a garment, a final meeting place for all the ideas to sort their problems out before the hands-on project begins.
Everyday, home, and personal sewing (both practical and leisure sewing) require a unique, and often underrepresented, artistic process and skill from the individual that I hope to represent a little bit of in this sketchbook for the Brooklyn Art Library."




















Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment