Thursday, September 9, 2021

Kana's Standard for Kids: A-4 Girls' Dress


 Who doesn't love adorable little girls' dresses with Peter Pan collars? I've been suckered in by this dress pattern in Kana's Standard for Kids, a Japanese pattern book with a boatload of delightful childhood closet goodies, albeit only for girls (Kana's Standard for Kids II has a number of items for boys).



Rather than confess how much time I spent trying to figure out how to sew the neckline -- which has elastic in the back (cased in with bias tape) -- and sew in in-seam pockets WITH French seams, I'll just say that I learned lots of lessons. First, it's worth checking ALL the provided diagrams, even if the captions are in a foreign language. Plus, Google Translate can offer some help. Second, don't make things harder than they have to be and when trying sew French seams on curves do this  instead ➢➢ By Hand London Sewing French Seams on Curves AND when trying to sewing in-seam pockets with French seams follow this lovely piece of advice by In the Folds ➢➢ In-Seam Pockets with French Seams

Even though I ended up not putting pockets in, it turned out rather cute, and the Peter Pan collar is wonderfully even. The elasticated back neckline was also a nice touch -- no finicky closures. Now that I know more, I think the construction process should be pretty quick next time. 






I'll be putting this on my new Etsy shop, Heirloom Variety 🍅! 🎉🎉

Heirloom Variety Link

It's small, but growing!

⚘⚘⚘

No comments:

Post a Comment