Thursday, June 2, 2022

Tartan Time Part 2

     


    Well, now it's my turn to show off my tartan. Consider this Part 2 of this post: https://sewingwithapurpose.blogspot.com/2022/04/tartan-time.html  After finishing my friend's skirt, I started on mine, which used the Scotland Forever tartan in a lightweight wool from Scotland Shop. It is really a lovely fabric. For the pattern, I used a vintage McCall's pattern M8107. Oddly, it has a size chart on the back of the package as usual, but it only came printed in one size... a 24, and I am a 20 on the McCall's scale. However, I usually find that older patterns run a little small and decided to risk it. This one did not run that small. 😅 Fortunately, I was able to move the large hooks and eyes that went on the inside of the front waist piece further in, so it took the skirt in enough, but not without warping the outer pleats a bit (but honestly, not that noticeable👍). The D-ring belt took care of any remaining slack, but I do have to tuck the belt in to keep it taut. Pockets also come with this skirt. I REALLY loved this pattern, so next time, I will grade it down.✨

    For the top, I used a printed white cotton that was given to me and Old Faithful: the Merchant & Mills Bantam vest from the Merchant & Mills Workbook. After making 3 dress versions, the Bantam vest was an easy answer to this skirt in need of this top. It always turns out and is easy to alter a bit if necessary! I even cut my own bias tape this time and used French seams. I really like the pattern mixing (of which I am not normally a fan) of the subtle print on the shirt and the tartan. 🧐 Finished products below. I plan to wear the ensemble to a local Celtic Fest this Saturday.

 









Happy Sewing!🧵

 

No comments:

Post a Comment