Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Grading Down McCall's 8107 with Toolfully Grading Tools


    After making McCall's 8107 (OOP) a few weeks ago from the single-size pattern that turned out to be a tad too big, I realized it may be time to try my hand at grading, which has always been a daunting challenge in my mind. How can one get each new point correct as you move each part?  Well, it was not as difficult as I had expected honestly, just meticulous. Foremost lesson: When grading, it pays to be precise and meticulous, even it it seems like a bunch of extra work. To guide the process, I used tools from Toolfully on Etsy and this video:  



    The fabric I used for this skirt was a linen I picked up in Portland, OR in 2019 during Pattern Review Weekend. The finished skirt was not as small as I had hoped, despite being meticulous about moving each and every piece. Maybe I was not as attentive to my seam allowances or something. It still turned out okay and was even approved by my parents' cat. 😄



I messed up the first try (the black markings) and had to redo it (in green).








    💙 Anyway, it was a good learning experience and I will make sure to be precise in every aspect in order to get each measurement right.

No comments:

Post a Comment