Thursday, August 18, 2022

Dressmaking at Home Dress F (Custom)


    Tis the season of custom work! Shortly after my aunt put in for a variation from Dress B, a church friend requested a custom dress. Not sure what she would want, I picked out a few Japanese sewing books she might like (I knew her style was more feminine with simple lines and delicate details, and JSBs have plenty of that!). After we had the joy of going through each of them and ooh-ing and ah-ing over everything, she settled on something I had made before: Dress F from Dressmaking at home, another one of my favorites! Searching the internet for fabrics that might appeal to my friend, I settled on this collection from Katarina Roccella called "Twenty," and suggested she look through it and to let me know what she thought. The fabric she picked out was a nice heathered charcoal floral cotton. So, I got to work!



    To better fit her, I made a few changes to the original pattern and to what I had done the first time I used this pattern. First, I made a button-and-loop closure rather than the zip that the pattern calls for. On my version of the dress, I left out the fish-eye darts on the dress bodice because my bust-waist-hip measurements don't vary enough to need them. All I needed were some small bust darts on mine. I added the fish-eyes back for my friend, who has larger measurement ratios. I also used bias binding to finish the neckline rather than facing. This was just based on experience from doing facings the first time -- they feel bulky with finer fabrics while wearing the dress. She also asked for the dress to be lengthened. We were both super happy with the way it turned out!✨🎉




 Happy Sewing!🧵

No comments:

Post a Comment