Thursday, August 18, 2022

Decorative Pillows


        One of my recent commissions was to make decorative pillows for my mom's newly redone guest room. Two of them (with the coconut shell buttons) were made based on this tutorial by Sew4Home: https://sew4home.com/fast-fridays-button-loop-overlap-pillows/ and the others were a hodge-podge of assembly methods. The white one was self-explanatory, just some puffs on the corners and a zip on the bottom to make it removeable. I also had the opportunity to try out a lumbar and a tufted pillow -- the tufted turned out great and I didn't use a pattern, but I did learn that I needed nice, long upholstery needles to do the job well and quickly. The lumbar was based on a vintage pattern now out of print, Simplicity 4515. Unfortunately, when I got it, it was missing the tufted pillow pattern pieces, so I winged it! I also learned how to make self-covered buttons using a little kit from Hobby Lobby. Not as complicated as I had expected, honestly. Those buttons went on the lumbar and tufted pillows. Although I was happy with the tufted one, the lumbar definitely looked like a first attempt when finished. No worries though, I will be making another one with my new upholstery needles and I will be making more measurements. The lumbar turned lumpy partly because there was not enough fabric, so next time there will be enough. 















 Happy Sewing!🧵

No comments:

Post a Comment