Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Retro in the Rain


This particular project was made with the second fabric I got in NH. I loved it because it had watery shapes stitched across paintbrush strokes in metallic olive and gold. It was one of those fabrics you couldn't turn down because it was so unique. I'm fairly certain that it was intended to be upholstery for the curtains or your next set of Romantic Era dining room chairs. So naturally, with this weight and texture of fabric, it struck me as a good match for outerwear. I think I also felt a little pressured by the weather, since we have had non-stop rain for the last few weeks, and felt the need to put on another jacket😂. I miraculously found some 100% cotton twill ribbon at Hobby Lobby -- they haven't stocked that since they opened and I always need some for something.


I'm still on a Japanese pattern book streak (I even got 2 more for Christmas!), so I picked out a cloche coat/dress from Clothing for Everyday Wear by Yoshiko Tsukiori, "Dress T."
I decided to leave the straps and buttons off the sleeves since I was already going to be short on fabric. I shortened the whole thing by 5.5 inches, as well.
I gathered a little family counsel and they had 3 direction options:
1. Horizontal like water
2. Vertical like downward paintbrush strokes
3. Vertical like the rain
After turning it over and over #2 was the most popular.

I wasn't sure about having a drawstring neckline, but it turned out much better than expected. Generally, I tend to go with buttons, but the snaps make the whole garment feel a bit sturdier.











Pleats on the pockets!








Overall, it turned out well and better than expected. I can't wait to wear it in the spring!💐
Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment