Monday, November 26, 2018

The 50 States: New Hampshire -- Floral Linen Dress


State #2 -- The Granite State

pc: WhistleOut

While in NH, I was able to find a fabric shop in Exeter and found two fabrics, but I chose the floral linen to represent this state and my time there. It reminds me a lot of the dark slate gray and deep greens of the White Mountains in the summer, which we drove through a few times. This large weave linen has a rustic and feminine feel to it, and I wanted to keep that vibe, so I chose a dress pattern from the Japanese sewing book Stylish Dress Book: Clothing for Everyday Wear by Yoshiko Tsukiori. As with many Japanese sewing books, they tend towards the feminine paired with either minimalist or delicate details. Subtle as they may be, with the right adjustments, the little things can really make or break a dress. For example, I don't think I'd have loved the results as much if I had not found such a complementary fabric for the button loops, waist tie, and waist band. Also, little wood buttons also contributed to a more natural theme.

A new experience I garnered from this dress was making my own button loops, which was a lot less complicated than I was expecting.






The pattern in the sewing book and the fabric in natural light:





As always, linen was nice to sew with. It has a good weight to it when I wear it. Definitely one of my favorites, as I said before. The little features, like the handmade button loops, contrast fabric, and pleat in the back make me love it more than I expected to. It turns out I cut the back pattern piece wrong and the pleat is there to fix a 3 inch mistake, but I don't think anyone would know unless I told them.
And the finished product:





Happy Sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment